Hayes Mansion during Restoration
This Hayes family home was built in 1905. Mary Hayes Chynoweth never lived in it because she died just before it was finished. She was 79. Her sons, Jay Orley and Everis Anson lived in it with their families. Their first mansion burned down. They Hayes family was very rich. The Hayes brothers owned the San Jose Mercury News, and Sunsweet Fruits. The mansion barely felt the 1906 earthquake. Sarah Winchester had her own room in this house. It is now the Hayes Renaissance Center. It has 26 imported woods. Five of the woods are hard woods like Mahogony and Oak.
Eden Vale was the home of the Anson Hayes family. Anson Hayes was the first cousin of President Rutherford B. Hayes. His wife, Mary Folsom Hayes was a spiritualist who dreamed of a grove of Oak Trees that was to become their home. Having found this oak grove on property owned by Frederick Tennant the Hayes' purchased the Tennant farm house and land and moved in. They built an English Tutor manision on the property. When that mansion burned down the built the Mediterranean mansion that now stands on the property. Mary never lived in the home, but her two sons, Everis Anson and Jay Orley raised their families in the house.
Hayes Renaissance Center
Edenvale Ave. San Jose, CA